Last Sunday, I finished replacing the main sewer line. First, I removed the temporary fix and demo-ed the rest of the clay pipe.
Next, I cut out the cast-iron segment back to about its midpoint under the house. The cast-iron is a bit tough to cut through but can be done with a good carbide blade and a little patience. I then connected the old 3" cast-iron pipe to the new 3" ABS pipe with a Fernco coupler and extended this out through the hole in the foundation. Here I added a 3" to 4" ABS coupler and added a new clean-out all glued together with ABS glue.
The new clean-out. There will be a short length of pipe as well as a cap added.
The rest was easy: I ran the rest of the pipe and re-connected at the street with a 4" coupler.
This was the easy part.
I did buy a torque wrench on ebay to set the proper tension of the Fernco couplers. These are made to be cinched to 6olbs. I have guessed in the past but since these will be underground (and hopefully trouble free) for a long time, I thought it best to do it right.
All connected and ready to go. Just need to fill in the trenches.