Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Rancho Rewind: Beet Pizza

One of the things that I'm most looking forward to in the winter garden are all of the beets.  Last year Jeremy and I made beet pizza a couple of times, and flipping through photos, I came across one of our creations that got me excited for this years crop.


We used the regular pizza dough from Trader Joe's for this one.  (We need to start making our own, I know it's easy, but not as easy as buying it from TJs!)  We usually brush a little olive oil onto the sheet pan and then sprinkle that with some yellow corn meal. (Nope, we don't gots a pizza stone.)  After a couple of initial versions, we decided that with a beet pizza we need to pre-bake the crust before adding the toppings (the beets and beet greens have so much moisture that it makes it hard for the crust to crisp up if you don't). So we bake the plain crust for 8 minutes or so, pull it out and dress it up.

Dressing it up:
  • sauteed beet greens
    • I just chop them up and through them into a hot cast iron pan with a little olive oil, salt and crushed red pepper.  Cook until wilted and just tender.
  • roasted beets
    • I scrub them, cut the tops off, and put them into a roasting pan or pyrex.
    • larger beets I might cut in half, but otherwise I leave them whole.
    • sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of water into the pan, cover tight with aluminum foil, and roast at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, until fork tender.
    • let the beets cool, then peel the skins off with your fingers.  (it's a little messy, but the skins come off really easily.)
    • cut the cooled beets into thick slices.
  • walnuts , rough chopped
  • goat cheese
  • parmesean cheese
  • fresh parsley, chopped
Spread the goat cheese on the pre-baked crust.  Distribute the greens and the sliced beets over the cheese.  Sprinkle walnuts and parmesean over the top.  Bake for another 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle parsley on the finished pie.


We kept it pretty basic, but you could easily add other flavors that would be great.  Maybe some balsamic vinegar or flavored olive oil or walnut oil drizzled over the top when it comes out of the oven?  Chives, onions or shallots?  Pickled onions or shallots?  Pine nuts?  Blue cheese?  No cheese?  However it is modified, I am looking forward to recreating it with at least a part of the new season's crop.  Hurry up beets!

4 comments:

  1. Mmm Beets! You know I love me some beets. :) Enjoying the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first picture looks like a boot. I thought you had a southwestern party we weren't invited to.

    Miss you guys...and the rancho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of the misshapen crust! Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete